Monday 4 April 2011

SUNDAY: Race 2

Having to wait until the afternoon to go racing again was very hard. Today I had my supporters! Mum, Dad, Annabelle and Richard (Thank you for coming). The car was ready to go. Full of as much fuel as I could get it, to make sure that I was over weight at the end of the race. There was again a long wait in the pit lane before the start. I just could not believe that I had managed to qualify in 6th. The only tactics I had for the race was to get a better start. As we were waiting in the pit lane there were a few drops of rain. I just sat there thinking ‘Please don’t do this, please stay dry’. Luckily it did. Having a better grid position and being on the better side of the grid and knowing I had achieved the fastest lap time yesterday I was feeling that this was going to be more fun. I was not wrong.

Unfortunately at the start I had another poor start. It was better than Race 1 but I still lost places and this really does need to improve. I found myself at the back of the leading pack. I did not panic and just thought the race is long. I knew that as long as I didn’t loose the tow I would be able to catch them back up again. The leaders were dicing in every corner. This helped me to make progress. I slowly picked people off! The tow and slipstream was again amazing. I was really making sure I had a clean exit and on the power as soon as possible. This gave me an advantage going down the straight. One of the scariest moments was being on the inside of Copse knowing I had 3 cars to my left all wanting to get round in one piece! I had managed to work my way up to 4th place! Amazing. However going round Luffields things got a bit tight and I spun. Again. Apparently there was a big cheer from the stands. I was just glad the car was still in one piece and of course I could entertain the spectators!! I was however completely guttered to travel round to the start/stop straight to see the last lap board. Gutted! Oh what could have been!

But overall the weekend was truly amazing. I never dreamt I would be so competitive. Especially driving with 5 year old tires on!! I can not wait for Snetterton. We are driving the new 300 circuit so no one has raced there before.

The countdown has begun.

Well done Tigger! Thanks for looking after me and performing so well!

No comments: