Saturday 2 April 2011

Fastest lap race 1

Wow what a start to my caterham graduates career. I qualified in 7th place. I was very happy with this for a first race. Grid size was 18. The car was again running really well. Qual was very difficult to get a clean lap in and I managed 1:14.3 which was roughly the pace I was running yesterday during testing. Qual is very tactical you need a slip stream to get a good laptime. So I let a few people past but then they got slightly in the way. So didn't really feel I got a clean lap. But very happy with 7th place.

Before our classic race we went down to Luffield to watch the mega's and super's race. This started to make me very nervous. It was a long wait for our race at 4:20. I got myself ready quite early but really there was too much time. We were grided up in the pitlane and we must have waited there for 20 minutes. My grid slot was on the right of the grid. I had a terrible start and lost about 4 places. The first handful of laps were amazing. It was so close and tight. At one point I had to run wide to avoid someones wing and lights bits! The tow down the back straight was great however it meant that we had 4 cars going into the next corner. People say f1 is boring. It is! Come and watch Caterham racing. Purely amazing. I knew I had the best view in the house but it was really entertaining. About 3 laps to the end I unfortunately spun. But still managed to finish 10th. I was disappointed with myself that I spun but I'd just driven my first race of the season and my 4th race ever. Was very happy. However driving back into my pit garage my mother told me I got the fastest lap in the race. Omg! How amazing. Something I had never expected. Unfortunately no points for fl. If I had performed that lap in qualifing I would have got pole! So all that is really left to say is "roll on Sunday and race 2!"

No comments: