Monday 18 April 2011

Snetterton–Rounds 3&4

Race 1 – Qual 9th – Finished 7th – Top best improver
Race 2 – Qual 9th – Finished 6th – 2nd best improver

Another amazing weekend racing with the Caterham Graduates Series. This time it was at the Norfolk circuit – Snetterton. Racing on their new 300 circuit.

I had great fun testing on the Friday. My first session out was amazing. The circuit was really challenging. The speed and direction changing at the end of coram took sometime to get use to. Also the late braking under the bridge. The infield section was interesting because of course no on had driven it before. My time throughout the day got better but I still needed to do some work! My best was 2:27.3 with the top runners running in the 2:24.

The weather all weekend was good and Qualifying on Sat was no exception. I ended up running on my own so missed out on a tow down the straights, however I think this was quite good as I could go at my own pace. I managed to qualify 9th for both races. I was very happy with this as I was faster that the Fridays testing. Qual time – 2:26.9 (Pole was a 2:23.4 by Paul Hawker).

Race 1 was started with a flag because we where sharing our grid with the Sigma cars (They had the lights). I was caught a bit napping as for some reason I thought we would get a warning board. Instead the lights went off for the Sigma’s, there was a long pause. I didn’t even see the flag go up! So I started when I saw everyone else start. Mental note made – don’t do that again!! I lost a place to Dan Lewis on the start but managed to get this back during the race. Andy Sagar went wide so gained a place there. Up front Paul Hawker had spun and got damaged so was unable to continue – so made a place there. I ended up catching a slower Sigma of Nick Dyer a fellow novice. I off took him quite easily but he had more power down the straight so got me back. I was much quicker in the corners but lacked the power everywhere else! He spun under the bridge and I was likely to miss him! I ended up finishing 7th – Very happy with that. Improved fastest lap 2:25.2. First silverware awarded for top improver.

Race 2 I again started in 9th and was praying for a better start. This time it was better but Dan Lewis still managed to overtake me. So I was down to 10th. The first lap was very close with people changing positions nearly every corner. Going into Montreal for the second time their were yellow flags. On the exit of the corner we found 2 battered Sigma Caterhams blocking the road. On the next corner the race was red flagged.

So my first red flagged race!! What will happen! We travelled back to the grid was was reformed to our original grid position. Much to the disguised of Dan Lewis, as he had managed to overtake me and we had both managed to overtake Andy Sagar. It was a restart with now a 12 minute race. The restart was my best start of the season – glad they are improving! This time I was able to keep up with the back of the top back. Dan Lewis had got in front of me, so I was back down to 10th. Andy Sagar went wide at Hamilton, came back onto the circuit and Dan Lewis took avoiding action and I went up past both of them into the next corner. I got a good tow behind Paul Hawker and Andy got a great tow behind me going down the back straight (Now called Bentley’s). Paul went defensive into bridge (now called Brundle) and I tucked in behind. Andy shot past me into the next right hander (Nelson) but was slower coming out. I was able to accelerate earlier and managed a tight line around Coram to overtake him back. Andy again went to overtake me into Murrays. I took a wider line and he was slow out and I managed a great tow down Senna straight and managed to overtake him back. By this time Dan Lewis had caught Andy up and they continued to battled behind me. A few laps later there was an incident further up between James Russell and Graeme Smith who made contact and went wide into Montreal. I was able to pass both of them. So I was now up to 5th place. I could see the very fast Graeme Smith quickly approaching me on the last lap. Unfortunately he got into my tow down Bentley straight and there was nothing I could do! Managed to finish 6th and improved my fastest lap time. This time 2nd best improver medal.

Overall another great weekend. Roll on Brands Hatch!

No comments: