Thursday 26 August 2010

Oulton Park – ARD’s

imagesDid my ARDs test at Oulton Park yesterday using the long circuit– loved it. Was quite nervous in the end, but if you can pass it once and go racing you should be able to pass it again.

However ……. failed the first written paper! In section A, you are not allowed to get any questions wrong. I got one wrong! I was kicking myself! I had written ‘Union Jack’ and you needed to write ‘National Flag’. Ok, so I might be racing in a different country (if I’m ever lucky enough) I’m sat on the grid and the lights are suddenly not working so they have to use a flag. I’m sat waiting for the start but they don’t use a Union Jack but a Belgium flag instead. Don’t think I’m going to be sat there until they use a Union Jack! But never mind – I was able to take it again! The instructor even said at the beginning to name them as per the sheet. I’m a teacher – exam technique just wasn’t there!!!

Anyway on to practical. Two guys went out before me and just jumped into the car (Vauxhall VX220). You get 3 laps instruction and 3 laps being assessed. I was getting really nervous because I had never driven around Oulton park. Suddenly the session is red flag, to find to my horror the guy before me had binned the car in the gravel trap and failed his ARD’s! Now I’m getting nervous! Next up was me. I hadn’t been on a circuit for 4 1/2 years so was rusty especially driving a car I didn’t know how it would handle (and the brakes had locked up causing the last driver to go in the gravel). I just wanted to drive around and pass. The instructor kept saying faster – power, power! Just wanted to be on the racing line, let other faster drivers safely overtake and get it round without a visit to the scenery! 6 laps went very very quickly passed and I was coming into the pits to finish and pass. Wow – thank goodness!

The test went so fast, so I thought I would take ‘Max the second’ out for a quick spin afterwards. It was great fun and managed to get confidence around the circuit. Loved Oulton and very much looking forward to racing there next year – fingers crossed. So now the ARDs has been done – just need to find a car!

2508201016925082010168

P.S shared Oulton Park with Sir Chris Hoy who was testing a Blue Caterham!

No comments: