Friday 15 February 2013

16 Days Until …

The Silverstone Half Marathon

logo

OK, so people always have a story about how they sign up to run these types of events. Was it a silly statement sat around a pub table having a drink one night. Not for me. This is purely a self punishment! In the turn of 2012 I decided not to have New Years Resolutions but to have 30 things to do before I turned 30. On this list was to run a 10K. Yes, I am a PE teacher. Yes, I should be pretty fit. But I HATE running! I find it so so boring. So thought a 10K would be a suitable challenge to take part in during 2012. Jan and Feb came and went, then suddenly it was July. I saw an event I wanted to do in July however this clashed with a motor racing commitment. Then suddenly it was Sep, Oct and then my birthday in November. How had I let 10 months past and not run a 10K. So the punishment for not completing it was to sign up for the Silverstone Half Marathon. The thought process behind this is ‘If I cant run a half marathon around Silverstone, I cant do it anywhere!’

So I have been training for the event, but have found it very hard to fit the required mileage in for half a marathon. I’ve decided to run for completion, which will still be a great achievement. I have averaged about 3 runs a week and have also done other exercise such as rowing and hockey. I was pleased to run 10K on a treadmill without stopping a few weeks ago. This has given me confidence that with the right mind set I will be able to complete it.

Thought I would post it on here and then I cant chicken out! Life is about personal challenge and I’m a believer in being the best that you can be. We will see what happens. Why did I sign up for this again?? Amanda

No comments: