Sunday 18 September 2011

Pembrey, South Wales - Race 2

Qualified P2
Finished last after contact

The second race started better, the track was a bit damp and I had the advantage from the start, by being on the dry racing line compared with that of pole sitter Graham Smith on the damp side. I had a good start and was level with Graham going into the first hairpin. I Graham battled for the first lap. I had a good run out of the hairpin and managed to overtake Graham into Honda Curve to take the lead. I was leading on and off for the next handful of laps. I out braked myself into the first hairpin letting 4 cars past. Over the next few laps I battled my way to near the front. Getting just into second place behind newly crowned 2011 Classic Champion John Parker. Whilst going into the old hairpin I got hit from behind and spun round by Rowan. I had to wait for the whole field to go past before restarting the car. I stalled, my immobiliser had fallen onto the floor so I could restart the car. I managed to get it to restart but I had to undo my belts. It felt like a hard impact so I went into the pits to make sure the car was ok to carry on and to retighten my belts. After getting the green light to carry on I was a lap and half down on the leaders. I unlapped myself with 3 back runners and when the chequered flag came out I was a lap away from catching the penultimate placed driver Shelia.

This has been a mixed weekend, but there are a lot of positives to take away. My first ever wet qualifying session, I far exceeded my own high expectations, qualifying second was truly amazing. In race two I lead for the most laps I have all season. I had some great overtaking and defending moves throughout race two. I’m now consistently racing at the front with the front runners and I’m looking forward to next season and getting a championship together.

WOW – One race weekend left of the season. Roll on Rockingham

No comments: